After the holidays year 4 will be learning about the world cup, I would like you to carry out a research project during the holiday. You can ask your parents, brothers, sisters or any other family member to help you.
You will be learning to:
Present information, thinking out how to set out clearly, use titles and sub titles. Use colour, maps and drawings effectively.Research information from papers, leaflets, magazines, the internet, television and books. Organise your work showing order and making sensible decisions.
Learn about different countries and continents.
- Be able to show different countries and continents on maps.
- Learn about different jobs and industries in countries.
- Understand terms such as host country, continent, local, global, industries e.g. tourism.
- Understand that each country has its own climate, and geographical features.
- Label a world map and show continents, main seas and oceans, different counties involved in the World Cup.
- Research information about South Africa where the World Cup is taking place.
- Draw a map / print a map of the continent of Africa and show different countries.
- Draw a map / print a map of South Africa and show where the different football stadiums are.
- Find out about what South Africa is like.
- The weather
- Main features
- Find out about what jobs people will have in order for the World Cup to take place.
- Record results of matches and present information about this.
- What the main industries are
- What South Africa is like e.g. is it big, small, does it have mountains, rivers?
- What the main industries are.
- Does it have any famous places? Does it produce and food?
- How does South Africa compare to England?
- Reasearch the different teams taking part in the world cup. You could also:
- Find out about different players and where they come from.
- Use pictures and information to show what South Africa is like or your country is like. E.G show pictures of animals native to South Africa.
- Draw flags of different countries and show these on your World Map
- Design a poster about the World Cup showing what South Africa is like.
- Imagine you are going to watch the World cup – show where you would stay, how you would travel, what you think you will see.
What I am looking for:
- A project which is well set out and shows you understand how to organise work and display it so it makes sense to the reader and is interesting.
- A project which shows you understand that places in the world have similarities and differences.
- A project which is exciting to read because it shows information in lots of different ways.
- A project which shows you have thought about what a country is like and really teaches the reader about that country.
Explore the mind map using the link below for a range of web pages and ideas to assist you!